Saturday, October 27, 2007

Social Networks

Other Social Networks are Dead..
I was explaining how, sitting here today, it is difficult to see why anyone would want to sign up to a social network that isn’t Facebook.

While MySpace used to be the market leader, it was always far too annoying and buggy to remain on the radar for long. Every time I visit MySpace I just get bombarded with spam. Most friend requests are either from awful bands, fake people or are just plain spam. Visiting MySpace is like wading through a thick, stinking swamp. With pink glittery things in it.
By contrast, I don’t recall ever seeing a single piece of spam on Facebook. Not even a spammy friends request.


As for Bebo, at least you can say they are not just burying their heads in the sand. I never really saw what Bebo had going for it, apart from being slightly less worse than MySpace. But that’s not saying much. They have recently launched a minor redesign, which looks like a desperate attempt to be perceived as Web 2.0.

But Bebo is a pretty tired site now. As I said above, many of the site’s features are now watered-down copies of other websites. Take the "sayings" feature, a recent feature which is a copy of Twitter in every way. Except the Bebo version does not link to your mobile phone, and is generally a bit rubbish.

I guess the “me too” thing is quite clever, but I think it says something about Bebo users if they can’t even think up an original thought. And what is with those Skittles emoticons? Why? They seem immensely popular as well.

My biggest beef with Bebo is the fact that you can’t post a link on your profile. That is the stupidest thing ever. Is not the WWW supposed to be all about links? Even worse, when you just type in a URL, Bebo puts spaces in it to prevent the text from spilling over the narrow columns — so these URLs become broken because of Bebo.

But despite all of these niggles, I don’t think Bebo is in any immediate danger of going south à la MySpace. Bebo attracts a different audience to Facebook. You get a lot more young people there, which you might be able to tell if you clicked the link to the popular sayings above. They won’t be tempted by Facebook at the moment. But what about when they grow up?…

This is a view from a woman who thinks that facebook is the best way to communicate on a social networking website. Because this is only an opinion we cannot judge what she comments as a true statement. However, she does indicate that bebo is more relevent to a younger audience and facebook attracts a more older audience. This I believe is true. Because lots of young people are creating a bebo site of their own, they are developing the skills needed to communicate as a means of learning. That is why I believe that enhancing a bebo network in the classroom will be of great interest to most, if not all children in the class and will work well to attract a more updated, relevent learning system.

I also found another interesting blog that talks about what happens when you want to go for a job but the employers are able to search your name and locate any blogs you have developed. This creates a tension where people have to make sure they are careful with what they write in their blogs.

Blogs and Job Hunting...
There is a bit of a fear about employers discovering your blog. I guess that is a bit old-fashioned now. More salient is the issue of MySpace, Facebook and bebo accounts being discovered. Blogs must seem relatively benign compared to some MySpace profiles.

Nevertheless, there is still a bit of a dilemma. What do you do if you are a blogger who is hunting for a job? I am getting to the stage where I am starting to think seriously about this issue. By this time next year I am supposed to have graduated and be doing a proper job. I now have to contend with the fact that large swathes of my personal life and opinions are out there in the open.

I’m not upset or angry about that. I was always aware that it would be the case. But it’s an interesting problem to tackle. It is pretty much accepted that nowadays employers will Google job candidates as a basic check.


True, you could blog anonymously. But I let that cat out of the bag years ago. Anyone searching for my name will find my website, this blog and my accounts for Bebo, Jaiku and Twitter — all on the first page of results.

Thankfully, while the general advice to blogging workers a few years ago was to keep it under your hat, nowadays I am seeing more and more people saying that having a blog is actually a boost to your career prospects. I am still not entirely convinced. Sitting in a Web 2.0 bubble, it is easy to say that blogging is great. But in my day-to-day life I still feel as though blogging is something that many people scoff at.

Although all this is true, it is dependent on some things. For instance, I have a personal bebo site of my own however, because I chose to make it a private profile, other people are not able to access my site unless I accept them as a friend. So in this case the public and people perhaps wanting to employ me cannot access my blogging network.

It is totally dependent on the safety circumstances of the social networking site you wish to use for your personal blogging network. I am quite a safety conscience person so I ensure that only people who I accept can access my information.

No comments: